The Capital Riot on January 6th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Capital Riot on January 6th

The Senate just released their Bi-Partisan report on the January 6th riot.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bip...ecommendations

The investigation seemed to be primarily focused on shortcomings pertaining to intelligence sharing, preparedness and the response time of reinforcements.

The issue has created a deep political fissure in Washington. Senate Republicans last week blocked the creation of a bipartisan panel to further investigate. The vote was 54-35, which was six votes shy of the 60 needed to take up the House bill.

The report released on Tuesday was compiled by Democrat Sens. Gary Peters, Amy Klobuchar and Republicans Rob Portman and Roy Blunt. The investigation found breakdowns at nearly every step of the way, from the FBI and Department of Homeland Security failing to raise the adequate alarm about the threat of violence to the lack of preparation by Capitol Police and other agencies.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/06/08/10042...e-capitol-riot

A bipartisan probe led by two Senate committees has found that U.S. Capitol Police and other authorities were in possession of more alarming intelligence clues ahead of the Jan. 6 attack on the complex than previously documented.

The findings are part of a report issued Tuesday by the Senate Rules and Homeland Security committees looking into the series of failures of intelligence, security preparations and emergency response before and during the insurrection.

Among new public details, the panels say Capitol Police had seen information from a pro-Trump website that included comments about the Capitol's tunnel system, and that encouraged demonstrators to bring weapons to subdue members of Congress and police, and reverse the presidential election's results.

"This is do or die. Bring your guns," one comment read in part, the report said.

The website also had comments that demonstrators should surround every building with a tunnel entrance or exit, be prepared to drag down police, and that they could "enter the Capitol as the Third Continental Congress and certify the Trump Electors," referring to an alliance of militia groups.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/08/polit...ort/index.html

A new Senate report reveals previously unknown details about the stunning security breakdowns ahead of the January 6 US Capitol attack, including a finding that the US Capitol Police's main intelligence unit "was aware of the potential for violence" beforehand.

The report adds an authoritative emphasis to previous evidence that there were massive intelligence failures, critical miscommunications, and unheeded warnings that ultimately led to the chaotic response that day.

Among the failures was an inability by intelligence officials to tie together a swirl of troubling internet chatter leading up to the riot and a reliance on using past, non-violent Trump rallies in security planning.

There are also several glaring omissions in the report including any examination of Donald Trump's role in the riots, raising questions about whether lawmakers, in their quest for bipartisanship, exposed the limits of a Congress divided and unable to agree on certain truths, particularly those related to the former President's actions.

Sources tell CNN that in order for this report, which was compiled by the Senate Homeland Security and Rules committees, to have support from both parties, the language had to be carefully crafted, and that included excluding the word "insurrection," which notably does not appear outside of witness quotes and footnotes."Did we look at Trump's role in the attack? The answer is no," a Senate committee aide told reporters.

There are three different sources listed above, and all three have some key facts but slightly different take-aways of the report. That should make this an interesting political football going forward.

I think there should be at least as many 1/6 investigations as there were Benghazi!!! investigations.

(Not really, I'm just making a point)

Comment

• Schwartzwald!
      Schwartzwald! commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't really like your post, i just clicked like to make a point.

So no one is officially taking a look at the role of Trump and his congressional lapdogs in this debacle? I mean, we have had contentious elections pretty much my whole life and no angry mobs stormed the capitol so what was different this time? Could it be the constant lying and rhetoric used by the GOP that took their cues from the president himself and his rabid fan club in right wing media? Maaaaybe.

Comment

• Lord0fHats
      Lord0fHats commented
      Editing a comment
      To be honest, do we need to?

Anyone who doesn't have their head up their ass knows exactly what role they played. A commission on it would actually just be political ammunition.

• Easy E
      Easy E commented
      Editing a comment
      Or for the Historical record and future historians to comb over. That has value to me! :)

The January 6th Commission that was negotiated and passed in the House with Republicans, but did not pas the Senate; would have done so.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannhauser42 View Post
      I think there should be at least as many 1/6 investigations as there were Benghazi!!! investigations.

(Not really, I'm just making a point)
      I'm not seeing any reason why Congress shouldn't or couldn't. Democrats control the agenda in both the House and Senate, just as when the Benghazi hearing was conducted during GOP control.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverbackWookie View Post

I'm not seeing any reason why Congress shouldn't or couldn't. Democrats control the agenda in both the House and Senate, just as when the Benghazi hearing was conducted during GOP control.
        The gag is that the Benghazi hearings were overblown, overdone, and ultimately ridiculous. There was nothing those hearings found that we didn't know within a week of the event and the hearings themselves were nothing but a political soapbox.

Frankly, a Jan 6 Commission would probably end up the same way because I don't think anyone who would actually pay attention to it needs any more evidence to have an opinion on what happened, why, and what role certain Republicans played. It ironically would be an overdone and ultimately ridiculous exercise in political athletics. I doubt there's anything new to discover. We know exactly what happened and all there is to do is bicker over culpability, which isn't a factual exercise at this point.

Comment

Yeah, but like the Benghazi hearings, it could be used to smear and put a dark cloud over the next potential Presidential candidate before the election even starts!

Comment

Trump not exonerated for Layfayette Square incident...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeZ1inTSzOs

Comment

Don't worry. The Right will willfully and dishonestly lie about it, just like they did with the Mueller Report.

Comment

I don't know if this should go here, but it is not worth a new thread so.....

Trump Pressed The Justice Department To Reverse The Election Results, Documents Show

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/10065...ts-documents-s

A batch of emails released by the Democrats on the House Oversight Committee appears to paint a clearer picture of how former President Donald Trump and his allies attempted to pressure the U.S. Justice Department to investigate unsubstantiated claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election.

The 232 pages of documents detail the unprecedented pressure campaign Trump, along with his chief of staff and other allies, conducted to get senior officials at the Justice Department to challenge the results of the election in the face of Trump's loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

In one example, Trump directed sham claims of voter fraud to then-Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen less than an hour before the president tweeted that Attorney General William Barr — who publicly stated that there was not evidence of widespread election fraud — would be stepping down and replaced by Rosen.

The newly released emails also highlight multiple conspiracy theories surrounding election fraud pushed by then-White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows. On Dec. 30, 2020, Meadows emailed Rosen a translation of a document that alleged there was a plot in which U.S. election data was altered in Italian facilities and loaded onto "military satellites" and that Trump was "clearly the winner."
              The conspiracy theories came from INSIDE the (White) House!

Comment

You should have quoted the next line too, for pure comedic value. Meadows send Youtube links to the AG as proof, like someone's crazy uncle on Facebook.

Comment

News on the Capital Riot front.....

Prosecutors Get Their 1st Guilty Plea In The Jan. 6 Oath Keepers Conspiracy Case

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/10095...onspiracy-case

Federal prosecutors secured their first guilty plea Wednesday in the Justice Department's sprawling conspiracy case involving the Oath Keepers extremist group in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

At a hearing in federal court in Washington, D.C., Graydon Young pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy and one count of obstruction of an official proceeding. The 55-year-old Florida resident agreed to cooperate with investigators, which could prove critical as the government pursues the remaining defendants in the high-profile case.

Young is one of 16 people associated with the Oath Keepers to be charged with conspiracy, obstruction and other offenses over the Capitol riot. Prosecutors say the defendants coordinated their efforts and actions to try to disrupt Congress' certification of the Electoral College count on Jan. 6.

Comment

New Body Camera Footage Shows The Violence Against Police During The Capitol Riot

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/10096...he-capitol-rio

The Department of Justice has released police body camera footage from the Jan. 6 U.S. Capitol riot showing violent attacks on police defending the building from a pro-Trump mob.

Though previously available videos taken by journalists, civilians, and even some participants in the riot have shown incidents of violence from that day, this new release adds to a growing body of evidence from the perspective of police officers themselves. Nearly 140 police officers suffered injuries during the riot, according to a bipartisan Senate report. NPR has been tracking every criminal case related to the riot, and now more than 500 people are facing charges.
                    I guess this wasn't just a bunch of lost tourists after all! Who knew?

This part of the story is interesting to me beyond just the details of the video and the cases.....

The Department of Justice released the videos after a group of news organizations, including NPR, filed a legal motion requesting that they be made public. The group of news organizations has sought — and secured — the release of several videos from the Jan. 6 attack that had previously been inaccessible.
                    I wonder if continued Media action will lead to a slow drip of videos coming out all the way until the next election? It is like a political water-drip torture!

Comment

Looks like Giulani has been disbarred in NY.

Comment

Yes, but did they destroy the phylactery?

Comment

Working...
                      X