X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COVID prevention measure

Another thread resurrect, but I couldn't resist posting this:
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/...apore-20841508
    That dude, being in one of the most authoritarian democracy on earth, after publicly breaking a public health measure destined to mitigate an ongoing pandemic, acts all surprised that HIS opinion is not taken into account. "But I don't believe in masks". Sure dude, who cares about what you believe in? Are you a fucking scientist in charge of deciding what are the best measures to stop the pandemic? Or are you a completely person whose only role here is to properly follow instruction? Well enjoy that inflated sense of self-importance for those 6 months in jail, dude, and next time maybe don't think you know better than the experts. Or if you still do, then don't act on it, airhead. You wanna decide the public health measure, you gotta work for it, prove you can do it, it's called meritocracy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Why am I not surprised that the one thinking he knows better than the experts AND that he can ignore the law without facing consequences is a white dude from a Western country, and not a local, or from some neighboring country? Is it that we are nurturing stupidity, or is it just that when locals do it, it doesn't make international news?

"Man that doesn't follow rules he doesn't like outraged he is facing consequences. More at 11."

Comment

This reminds me of the British guy that got the jail in Saudi Arabia for making his own booze and was amazed at the result. Obviously the punishment does not fit the crime, but it's impossible not to know what the punishment is or that it's very likely you'll be caught.

Fair game if you do it anyway in defiance of excessive legal consequences and are willing to face them, but acting like it's all an astonishing surprise is nonsense.

Comment

Like, he was selling the result?

Comment

• nfe
          nfe commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it was just for him and his friends at parties. I was in Qatar at the time so it was in the Gulf media I don't remember the story that vividly. I was too busy trying not to have meltdown about having to be around the competitive spending of my ex-wives childhood friends.

• OgorOrukOomanDuardin
          OgorOrukOomanDuardin commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, okay. Because I've been around a lot of contraband alcohol in Iran, without having troubles. Didn't drink any of it personally though, I don't like alcohol and contraband alcohol was quite logically lower quality alcohol...

Originally posted by OgorOrukOomanDuardin View Post
        Why am I not surprised that the one thinking he knows better than the experts AND that he can ignore the law without facing consequences is a white dude from a Western country, and not a local, or from some neighboring country? Is it that we are nurturing stupidity, or is it just that when locals do it, it doesn't make international news?
        I'd like to answer my own question, at least partly. There was apparently an Indian (?) woman pulling the same shit, but she got her ideas from a US crazies ideology somehow?
        https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/i-...-wear-mask-mrt
        https://alvinology.com/2021/05/07/so...jail-and-fine/
        Sovereign citizen lol.

Comment

Originally posted by OgorOrukOomanDuardin View Post
          I'd like to answer my own question, at least partly. There was apparently an Indian (?) woman pulling the same shit, but she got her ideas from a US crazies ideology somehow?
          https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/i-...-wear-mask-mrt
          https://alvinology.com/2021/05/07/so...jail-and-fine/
          Sovereign citizen lol.
          Ah god, he’s worse than I first thought. He wasn’t just sitting there with no mask on like I previous thought reading an earlier article, he was actively ranting about masks and trying to convince others to remove theirs telling them it would make them sick.

Comment

He can try that on prison wardens next. I'm not confident on his success though.

Comment

Yeah, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Regarding covid measures, I just spent a few minutes working out the odds for some idiot on 9gag who was saying about vaccinating (among other things) "Have you considered the side effects and the probability of you being affected?"

Well yes, according to the worst numbers in favour of vaccinating:
              Odds of dying of corona: 0.2%, or 1 in 500
              Odds of dying of the vaccine:
              Johnson (the most dangerous vaccine): 0,005% or 1 in 20,000 by the worst estimate.
              AstraZeneca: 0,00017% or 1 in 588000.
              Pfizer/moderna: I was unable to find any deaths attributed to that one.
              Seems like a gamble worth taking.
              Last edited by BranDawri; 06-20-2021, 09:01 PM. Reason: Edit: clarified the quote

Comment

You also have to take into account the odds of debilitating side effects, which I know have been used as a reasoning for not getting the vaccine (AZ in particular). But I think you are far greater odds of having a debilitating or life changing effect if you survive the virus than side-effects from the vaccine.
                I know there has been some call for it to be classed as a disability category at least. I know of a couple of people that got hit quite hard, survived, but still haven't recovered properly: One is a person in their 30s who is still really having trouble with their lung capacity and is having treatment for it, another in their 50s who was having heart palpitations afterwards and has now had to have a pacemaker fitted.
                It sounds a bit nuts but stuff like that in some ways frightens me more, I'd be interested to see what the figures are for people having to have treatment but I'd guess it's fairly high. And probably needs to be publicised a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific View Post
                  You also have to take into account the odds of debilitating side effects, which I know have been used as a reasoning for not getting the vaccine (AZ in particular). But I think you are far greater odds of having a debilitating or life changing effect if you survive the virus than side-effects from the vaccine.
                  I know there has been some call for it to be classed as a disability category at least. I know of a couple of people that got hit quite hard, survived, but still haven't recovered properly: One is a person in their 30s who is still really having trouble with their lung capacity and is having treatment for it, another in their 50s who was having heart palpitations afterwards and has now had to have a pacemaker fitted.
                  It sounds a bit nuts but stuff like that in some ways frightens me more, I'd be interested to see what the figures are for people having to have treatment but I'd guess it's fairly high. And probably needs to be publicised a bit more.
                  Yup, you could add me to that group, I used an inhaler for months after I caught COVID. Thankfully, that has now improved.

There have also been a high incidence of inflammatory conditions in children which are commonly post-viral, but very difficult to specifically link to COVID. It is probably due to COVID, but most kids get little or no initial symptoms and are rarely tested at the time (so no formal diagnosis of COVID), and these inflammatory conditions develop afterwards.

Comment

Got an NHS lateral flow kit through the post, ready for my trip to Orkney.

I’m double jabbed, happy to wear a mask, and not particularly looking forward to the swabbing. But it’s my first chance to see my Dad since March 2020, so it’s worth the mild inconvenience.

You get 7 in the kit, and I only need four for the trip. Reckon I’ll use a spare at some point today, get it all figured out. Will let you know how I get on.

Comment

• Crispy78
                      Crispy78 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's not the most fun you'll ever have, but if it picks up an infection and stops you passing it on to your Dad it's worth it.

I'm actually about 5 days in to a Covid infection at the moment. Not enjoying it very much, cough is absolutely caning my chest.

My son brought it home from school. They've been decimated by it. I've had a single dose of the AZ vaccine - hopefully it'll stop me needing hospital treatment or anything but I still got it. My wife has had both doses of Pfizer and is still testing negative, touch wood...

• R_Squared
                      R_Squared commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lost count of the amount of Lateral flow and PCR tests I've had. You get used to them. Little tip, try putting your thumb inside your fist and giving it a hard squeeze when you're swabbing the back of your throat, helps some people with the gag reflex. No clue why.

So figures in the UK have been going up 60-80% in the space of a week. The saving grace so far is that deaths and to a lesser extent hospital admissions haven't been increasing at the same rate, showing that the vaccinations and protection of vulnerable people is mostly effective.

My question would be, what are the restrictions that are being lifted on 19th July? It seems like society has more or less gone back to normal now (although I do have quite a restricted view). I know weddings are one thing.

The point being that the figures are already going up at such a tremendous rate, it might not make any more of a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific View Post

My question would be, what are the restrictions that are being lifted on 19th July? It seems like society has more or less gone back to normal now (although I do have quite a restricted view). I know weddings are one thing.
                      As I understand it, large scale events would be back on, no more checking in to places, any number of people can gather in either public or private premises, and compulsory mask-wearing would end everywhere.

Comment

Basically. Although the gimp masks are an unknown quantity..technically the law/mandate comes to an end on the 24th of July, but I won't be surprised if they sneak a renewal of it in without telling anyone. This despite the US states which have removed theirs/never really had any having no issues... Almost like it's not about a virus...

As for the other things, I haven't checked in anywhere since they have reopened and I've been gathering in public and private the whole time with like minded people. I have no interest in any of this nonsense, this is beyond insanity now. Normality has to resume.

Hopefully now that slimy cretin Hancock is gone saajid might turn the page on this nightmare, but I'm not holding my breath. At least vaccine passports seem to have been squashed, so that's a relief.
                        Last edited by Queen_annes_revenge; 06-30-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nfe View Post

As I understand it, large scale events would be back on, no more checking in to places, any number of people can gather in either public or private premises, and compulsory mask-wearing would end everywhere.
                          Right OK.. so looking at the figures today in the UK (28k infections, up 70% from last week) if the end of lockdown restrictions go ahead, we can assume the UK gov is back on the course of herd immunity? No track and trace, virus just runs through the population. Know this is now a very different proposition from March 2020, when the ICL was predicting 400k-500k deaths (I think) if the virus was allowed to run unchecked through the population. But, I have to be honest I find the prospect of this (not least because of long covid, which is still being researched) absolutely fucking terrifying.

And you know a good proportion of people will stop wearing masks when they are no longer mandatory, even though it would still be the sensible thing to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X