COVID prevention measure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skyth View Post
    Looks like there is a growing movement with the Republican extremists to have Fauci charged with crimes...
    watch the rest of the party getting bullied into following that line because trump can win elections and winning elections = more important than baseline principles....

But then again the oh so religious evangelicals did support trump and one of the maximes of christian faith is you shall not lie...

Comment

• Bunnies
      Bunnies commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh, I'm assuming that's a joke on your last point with regards to the political christians in the US. That hasn't been an issue in their eyes for a good while.

Also, does Trump really win that many elections? He won one, but then lost several key ones. I'm interested to see how it goes in midterms and in the next general (if he runs), to see if he actually does win elections

Online commented
      Editing a comment
      yes that last bit was a cheap shot.
      The problem is that he has mobilised a lot of people which were either desilusioned with voting or were now fully on his new line... which would severly cripple the Republicans longterm if they'd kick him out which would hurt the other politicians bottom line in their maintain power cartell.
      I attribute it as a side effect of the voting and governmental process being rigged in favour of blockparties
      Last edited by Online; 07-22-2021, 04:34 PM.

• Originally posted by Herzlos2 View Post
    It looks like France is taking a firm stance on anti-vaccers. From August you won't be able to attend a restaurant/bar/cafe/museum/cinema or use public transport without either proof of vaccination or a negative test (at EUR49 each time).

Macron has basically said he's sick of wasting his and his families lives in lockdowns because of anti-vaxers, so whilst everything is opening up they can stay at home.

If only we had any kind of leadership in the UK.
    Yeah, I was really dissatisfied with Macron, but if he can keep this up? Then the opposition are going to prove to be just as willing to enforce sensible public health measure over courting egotistical laymen's favor under the banner of “freedom”, or he might get my vote.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/st...57023297261568

Comment

• Are they trying to make him a sympathetic figure by showing him to be a fucking trophy hunter? Sure, go die of pneumonia lol.

Comment

• How does one own the libs by dying in agony?

Comment

How does one own the libs by dying in agony?
            I get severe "FÜR DAS VATERLAND!!!!" whilest running into a MG with ideological blindness vibes from this...
            Does that answer your question?

Edit: Basically some people are so full of propagated ideals and ideas that they don't stop and consider why they are doing something.
            Last edited by Online; 07-23-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Just like this true believer.

Imagine being this lost and clueless in life but still having 30 million dollars to blow on an idiotic vanity project.

Comment

How does one own the libs by dying in agony?
                You own the libs by showing them that you will never appreciate anything they would do for you. Imagine the delicious mental anguish you cause the snowflakes by dying while they could have saved you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Disciple of Fate View Post
                  You own the libs by showing them that you will never appreciate anything they would do for you. Imagine the delicious mental anguish you cause the snowflakes by dying while they could have saved you.
                  And if they are in anyway callous or flippant towards your self-imposed predicament, it just proves that THEyrE the ReAL NaZIs YoU GuISe

Comment

• Wolfblade
                    Wolfblade commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "so MucH FOR THe TolERanT leFT!"

• Originally posted by feeder View Post
                  Just like this true believer.

Imagine being this lost and clueless in life but still having 30 million dollars to blow on an idiotic vanity project.
                  Given that his 30 million pet project netted him a 2.5 billion dollar contract from the orange idiot, I'm not exactly sure I would call it an idiotic vanity project, more like good lobbying. If not for a few thousand votes in the right places, that orange idiot might have been a piggy bank for 4 more years.

Comment

• Disciple of Fate
                    Disciple of Fate commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That depends on how much he is allowed to retain and/or already made from the 2.5 billion contract and if that piece is really worth 30 mil. Remember, he put it up himself, it might have cost a fraction and WBTW might have sent him more than he claims. These people are liars to their core, he is probably trying to scam some rich Trumpists out of more money.

• feeder
                    feeder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, good point.

• Herzlos2
                    Herzlos2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Any half competent contractor, when "winning" a bit from an unstable Government, tends to have built in pretty severe severance clauses, so that even if Biden's administration cancels the project they still get a huge chunk of cash for doing nothing.

• Italy also preventing the unvaccinated from leisure venues:
                  https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-restrictions

It seems everyone is starting to get sick of them

Comment

• Well, I'm rotating back into general medicine in two weeks, so into the fray once more.

This is shaping up to be a bizarre time in healthcare. Normal disease patterns are all out of whack.

Comment

• Not that I'm complaining, but does anyone have any idea what is going on with infection rates in the UK at the moment?
                      First time 5 days in a row the infection figures have dropped (hospitalisation and death rates have risen but those always lag behind infections).
                      Yesterday a massive drop 50k down to 25k based on the previous week.

This is great news but what is the explanation especially when most commentators thought we would be seeing 100k+ infections within a week.
                      I know the 19th July figures are likely to show over the next week or so, but I've read a fair bit online and can't find any reason for the sudden, dramatic drop?

- Has the UK actually reached 'herd immunity' with the combination of people being vaccinated and having contracted covid previously?
                      - Has testing volume gone down? (Is the UK going for the 'Trump method'? If you don't test then there isn't a problem?)
                      - Break-up of schools so testing volumes and positives going down?

Any other thoughts on an explanation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacific View Post
                        Not that I'm complaining, but does anyone have any idea what is going on with infection rates in the UK at the moment?
                        First time 5 days in a row the infection figures have dropped (hospitalisation and death rates have risen but those always lag behind infections).
                        Yesterday a massive drop 50k down to 25k based on the previous week.

This is great news but what is the explanation especially when most commentators thought we would be seeing 100k+ infections within a week.
                        I know the 19th July figures are likely to show over the next week or so, but I've read a fair bit online and can't find any reason for the sudden, dramatic drop?

- Has the UK actually reached 'herd immunity' with the combination of people being vaccinated and having contracted covid previously?
                        - Has testing volume gone down? (Is the UK going for the 'Trump method'? If you don't test then there isn't a problem?)
                        - Break-up of schools so testing volumes and positives going down?

Any other thoughts on an explanation?
                        Possibly a bit of lag from the Euro 2020 period with everyone in pubs and bars?

My gut feeling is we're in this herd immunity stage, maybe not 100%, but enough to see a difference made.

Comment

• It is an interesting question.

I actually think it is likely to be all of the above, to some degree. Looking at the government daily summary (last updated yesterday), positive cases fell by 102,240 in the last 7 days (a drop of 30.8%).

Meanwhile, the number of conducted tests has also dropped significantly, by 989,413 in the last 7 days (-13.8%). This likely accounts for some of the drop in cases as less people are getting tests. However, unless all those not getting tested are high-probability symptomatic cases, this is unlikely to account for all the drop in cases.

Vaccine rates are increasing- 88.2% of the population now has at least one dose! 70.8% have two doses. This most likely accounts for why deaths have been rising so slowly relative to infections and hospitalisations. It probably also accounts for some of the reduction in infection numbers, but then infections by the dominant delta variant is only about 2/3rds protected by the vaccine, so the numbers above are less impressive when you knock a third off (~60% and ~45% respectively).

It is also impossible to discount the fact the schools have broken up at the end of July, naturally reintroducing a significant degree of social distancing between a bunch of otherwise disconnected families. Children have been shown to catch and transmit COVID. Closing schools appears to have been effective in large 'flu epidemics in the past. This is likely to have an impact.

Further, the "pingdemic" with track and trace FINALLY getting moving has forced a lot of people to isolate, which may have helped (at least until enough exemptions are granted to invalidate it, totally missing the point of a track and trace system...).

Having said all this, I'm still genuinely surprised the rates have dropped so much around the same time things have reopened. If hospitalisations drop in the coming weeks in line with the positive rate dropping, we will know there is a true drop in absolute cases (or at least, the drop in cases is occurring in adults). If hospitalisations continue to rise or plateau, then that suggests the drop in cases we are seeing now is spurious due to under-testing, or due to a drop primarily in kids who rarely get hospitalised.

Comment

Working...
                          X