No announcement yet.

COVID prevention measure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek here. Half of Greeks vaccinated, 25% full vaccination. Had my second dose of Astrazenecca this past week, no aftereffects whatsoever.
    Masks still mandatory inside closed spaces. Incentives are given to the 19-25 crowd to get the jab in the form of a 150 euro waiver for ship and museum tickets.
    In the workplace all employees are given 1 self test device per week and are expected to report the results. There is however a general mistrust about the effectiveness of the devices.
    From September onwards the policy will change and all unvaccinated employees will be forced to pay out of their own pocket each week 1 self test (5E) and a more expencive PCR test (80E).
    As for the situation it is degrading steadily with an ever increasing number of cases (close to 3000 today), mostly centered around major holiday destinations and mostly young people.

Comment

• feeder
      feeder commented
      Editing a comment
      people want to get fucked up in Greece, it's like a major hobby for the rest of Europe :)

• Florida, continuing to set the standard all other states try to emulate with their COVID responses. Wait, no, the opposite of that.

https://twitter.com/cleavon_md/statu...444454403?s=21

Comment

• Huh, wild. In Florida? I thought their Governor had this all under control.

Wild

Comment

• Given the incredible cost of covid treatments, I'm surprised that they haven't started insisting on vaccinations or refusing to pay out on care for it.

Any idea why that's not happening? It'd force a lot of the reluctant anti-vaxers forward and just leave the lunatics.

Comment

• I guess it depends, are the treatments paid by the US government or Florida or Insurance?

Comment

• One third of all new US cases come from mask eschewing Texas and Florida.

Comment

• This is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAXIiQNYpY

Biden advisor on CNN saying essentially non-N95 masks don't work.

That's quite a shift.

Comment

• Further info on returning to the office for me today. I raised the point that it needs to be policy to be honest if you’ve been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID.

It doesn’t need to be a massive declaration, but given folk commute from fair distances, we need to know to take a Lateral Flow test.

Example. I go into the office, and am unknowingly in the presence of someone who lives with a current COVID victim. Sure, I’ve been double jabbed, but that doesn’t stop me becoming a vector. Given I’ve a year’s worth of free gigs to attend (including Rag N Bone man), i could become a super spreader, taking the virus from London to my local area, and who knows where else amongst the other gig goers.

Its still unlikely I’ll be in the office terribly often, due to a combination of factors. But we all need to be super responsible in the coming months.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverbackWookie View Post
                  This is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAXIiQNYpY

Biden advisor on CNN saying essentially non-N95 masks don't work.

That's quite a shift.
                  Hold up, his reasoning is literally "People can smell smoke while wearing the masks." (edit) There's no scientific study cited to back this claim of his up, and the clip is cherry-picked so that it starts partway through whatever he was saying and completely leaves out whatever question he was asked.

This isn't the silver bullet you think it is, and I can't even find the entirety of this clip elsewhere, and I don't recognize this person offhand either to verify who they even are.

This honestly sounds like an appeal to authority.
                  Last edited by Wolfblade; 08-03-2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, the point is that any mask can help slow the spread of what comes out of your nose and mouth. See Bill Nye's video of trying to blow out a candle with a mask on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolfblade View Post

Hold up, his reasoning is literally "People can smell smoke while wearing the masks." There's no scientific study cited to back this up, and the clip is cherry-picked part way through whatever he was saying.

I don't think this is the silver bullet you think it is, and I can't even find the entirety of this clip elsewhere, and I don't recognize this person offhand either to verify who they even are.

This honestly sounds like an appeal to authority.
                      I can smell smoke even through my N95 masks. Whether it's from cigarettes or burn pile. When I'm painting a house, I can still smell the paint through my N95 masks. I don't think we need a scientific study that proves/disproves that wearing masks (cloth to N95) prevents the wearer from smelling things.

The CDC even warned that cloth masks will not protect against wildfire smoke. I'm sure if using those masks, you'd smell the smoke.
                      https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/covid-..._covid-19.html

As to claim of "an appeal to authority", not really. This isn't some rando internet "epidemiologist" who stayed at The Holiday Inn. He's a credentialed epidemiologist working for the University of Minnesota.

Dr. Osterholm is also the director of Center for Infectious Disease And Research (https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/), who is also on Biden's COVID advisor panel.

My point, as I've often tried to interject on this board, is that there are different views on effectiveness on masks uses with regard to mitigating the spread of covid.

Here's an interview transcript last summer that hits on many points:
                      https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/def...s_6.2.20_0.pdf

In short: Cloth mask and even surgical masks in community settings offers very low, if any, protection. If we're masking up, use fitted and sealed N95 (or higher quality) respirator masks. He goes into the distinct differences in between aerosol transmissions v. droplet transmissions and how masks mitigation strategies, particularly with public communication, is so confusing to the public.

Comment

• Masks, cloth or otherwise, reduce the spread of infection. They do not do much if anything to prevent you from getting infected. They do not stop others from spreading their infection to you. The reduce you spreading your infection to others.

That and it makes me feel like Sub-Zero while I'm standing in line at Timmies in the am.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverbackWookie View Post

I can smell smoke even through my N95 masks. Whether it's from cigarettes or burn pile. When I'm painting a house, I can still smell the paint through my N95 masks. I don't think we need a scientific study that proves/disproves that wearing masks (cloth to N95) prevents the wearer from smelling things.

The CDC even warned that cloth masks will not protect against wildfire smoke. I'm sure if using those masks, you'd smell the smoke.
                          https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/covid-..._covid-19.html
                          I don't think you understand what I said. I said his ENTIRE reasoning in this clip appears to be "you can smell smoke, therefore masks are worthless." Smelling smoke has nothing to do with the coronavirus, nor does it indicate the effectiveness of masks. My second part of what I said is his reasoning wasn't based on scientific studies just that "you can smell smoke!"

Originally posted by SilverbackWookie View Post
                          As to claim of "an appeal to authority", not really. This isn't some rando internet "epidemiologist" who stayed at The Holiday Inn. He's a credentialed epidemiologist working for the University of Minnesota.

Dr. Osterholm is also the director of Center for Infectious Disease And Research (https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/), who is also on Biden's COVID advisor panel.
                          Well, thank you for telling me who he is, but I cannot find this clip of him, and it seems to be missing a ton of context as it doesn't even show the question posed to him. Also, it's uploaded by "Jordan 'Red Skull' Peterson" so it's not exactly a good source for your information. It doesn't even even have a friggin date to try and find the entirety of the clip!

My point, as I've often tried to interject on this board, is that there are different views on effectiveness on masks uses with regard to mitigating the spread of covid.
                          I don't give a flying fuck if there are "different views" on masks unless they're supported with actual evidence which the anti-masker crowd clearly lacks. "Different views" doesn't immediately equate to "equal validity," i.e., anti-vaxxers.

Here's an interview transcript last summer that hits on many points:
                          https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/def...s_6.2.20_0.pdf

In short: Cloth mask and even surgical masks in community settings offers very low, if any, protection. If we're masking up, use fitted and sealed N95 (or higher quality) respirator masks. He goes into the distinct differences in between aerosol transmissions v. droplet transmissions and how masks mitigation strategies, particularly with public communication, is so confusing to the public.
                          (This interview is over A YEAR OLD which is important as I link a more recent interview uploaded about 5 hours ago today)

Back up there, because this is a quote from him:
                          Currently there is inadequate information to answer critical questions about how well cloth masks protect anyone from being infected or infecting others
                          Furthermore, having actually read through most of the interview now, he appears to be mostly complaining that surgical masks are better than cloth masks, which is probably true, but that doesn't mean cloth masks don't provide protection. I mean, he even states it here at about 3:00 where he says if you'd be infected within 15 minutes without a mask, cloth masks would get you another 5 minutes (and thus, the better surgical masks would get you even longer). That's a pretty decent increase in time as it extends your protection. Furthermore, his issue with cloth masks is that they only provide limited protection and won't keep you safe forever, not no protection like you seem to think he's saying.

Edit: And really, the point of masks which you seem to consistently ignore is not to prevent you from getting infected, but to stop you from infecting others.
                          Last edited by Wolfblade; 08-03-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• WSJ as post about some are questioning (including those working for CDC) the data used by CDC to justify their policy changes:
                            https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdcs-co...d=hp_lead_pos6
                            Inside the CDC, some officials disagree with the agency’s conclusion that vaccinated people who become infected may spread the virus as readily as the unvaccinated, and argue that more testing needs to be done, including tests that measure how infectious virus particles are, according to a person familiar with the matter.
                            Also, seen this from Nate Silvers:
                            Also as in the Provincetown study it's a convenience sample, meaning people who chose to be tested, and not a random sample of all infections. That likely biases the sample toward more severe infections since people with more severe symptoms are more likely to seek out testing.

Nate Silver (@NateSilver538) August 3, 2021
                            I think that's something the need to be addressed.

Comment

• From a personal perspective, I lived in S Korea for a couple of years in the late 00's. There, if anyone has a sniffle or cold, you wear a mask. It's just the done thing. At first I was a bit surprised by it, but it makes a great deal of sense. Your colleague sat next to you in the office isn't sneezing over you or slobbering with germs, and you do notice the difference that it isn't then passed on to everyone in the same room.
                              From what I can gather this has been a 'norm' since at least the late 1970s, and not just in Korea but a lot of other areas in northern Asia (Japan and China).

It was actually one of the things I was hoping would become commonplace in the UK (along with table service lol) just on the grounds that it makes a great deal of common sense, and especially if you work or live in any kind of environment where people are crammed together (and as human beings, we do have a vulnerability to infection via the respiratory tract - something to do with how our lungs have developed through evolutionary processes apparently!) But, for some, really weird reason, it seems to have become this massively polarising item in the US, as everything seems to, and then the rest of the Western world seems to get its share of assholes that flock to that banner and make a point of contention over something that shouldn't be.

Comment

Working...
                              X