No announcement yet.

COVID prevention measure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quite an interesting article re. the high infection, hospitalisation and death in the UK at the moment and with respect to this being normalised
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-may-not-last

To coin a phrase from an author, in my mind this is a 'terror of the normal', when it becomes acceptable to have 5-600 dead a week from the virus. It was always my fear that this would happen here, in the same way that gun deaths seem to be just accepted as part of life in the US, as though there is no choice over the matter and you just ignore the data from other comparable locations in the developed world.

Certainly I've found that people's patience seems to have been used up and an almost return to normal activities have taken place despite the high infection rate (apparently 1 in 60 at the moment).

What is also quite striking is that other Western European countries have 'opened up' but maintained some measures, such as social distancing and mask wearing, while the UK has gone for an 'act responsibly' approach, with predictable results (narrator's voice: the people carrying the virus were far less likely to act sensibly). There is some analysis saying this explains the massive disparity of infection rates in the UK, vs. France and Germany, considering the overall vaccination percentage in the UK is quite high.

Comment

• So long as a good 20% of the adult population doesn't see the sense in vaccinating, a good number of people will continue dying. Unfortunately those who can't and those who still are vulnerable after vaccinations will get (partially) dragged down by this group.

Its hard to see these deaths 'normalized', but without putting on more pressure to vaccinate, this will seemingly become the new normal.

Comment

• I guess this is what it felt like for adults when vehicle deaths started becoming part of the 'new normal'? Thousands will die for convenience and the economy?

Comment

• At least society tried/tries to make traffic safety better every year, instead of shrugging their shoulders and claiming it 'is what it is' or that their bodies could withstand cars hitting them.

Comment

• cuda1179
            cuda1179 commented
            Editing a comment
            Plenty of states left where there is no mandatory helmet laws for motorcycles.

• Disciple of Fate
            Disciple of Fate commented
            Editing a comment
            That's fucking terrible.

• Steelmage99 Actual
            Steelmage99 Actual commented
            Editing a comment
            "Plenty of states left where there is no mandatory helmet laws for motorcycles."

Well, thankfully organ-donors are always appreciated.

• Originally posted by Pacific View Post
          What is also quite striking is that other Western European countries have 'opened up' but maintained some measures, such as social distancing and mask wearing, while the UK has gone for an 'act responsibly' approach, with predictable results (narrator's voice: the people carrying the virus were far less likely to act sensibly). There is some analysis saying this explains the massive disparity of infection rates in the UK, vs. France and Germany, considering the overall vaccination percentage in the UK is quite high.

The confusing messaging to blame the population has always been the UK Governments plan, and is why we're doing so much worse than responsible countries. Late and ineffective lockdowns, lots of crap like "Masks aren't mandatory but you should wear one" and "Pubs can stay open but you shouldn't go to them" with the obvious result that the responsible people keep being responsible whilst the irresponsible have carte blanch to spread the virus around.

Comment

• There has to be some factors that are overlooked or unknown. Here in the US when you compare the states there are vastly different degrees to which precautions are mandated. While there is a trend that safer is better, there are a lot of outlier states that throw a wrench into those assumptions. Some ultra-strict areas have high rates, while some more relaxed areas barely get touched by Covid.

Comment

• Originally posted by cuda1179 View Post
              There has to be some factors that are overlooked or unknown. Here in the US when you compare the states there are vastly different degrees to which precautions are mandated. While there is a trend that safer is better, there are a lot of outlier states that throw a wrench into those assumptions. Some ultra-strict areas have high rates, while some more relaxed areas barely get touched by Covid.
              Those states have by and large underreported their numbers on purpose. I.E. Florida were not been reporting COVID deaths accurately since the start of the pandemic. That's really the only factor you're overlooking. The states with mandates and lockdowns have done better than those without them. States with dense populations (i.e. Rhode Island) and dense population centers (i.e. any major city) will be hit harder solely because there are a lot of people there. Political leanings of a state will also play into death rates because republicans are the major group of people refusing to get vaccinated.

There is no mystery here.

Some sources on underreporting:
              One
              Two
              Last edited by Wolfblade; 10-17-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Russia is a case in point....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58937582

1000 deaths a day, low vaccination uptake and a Govt unwilling to lock down to "save the economy". I'm not sure what their masking policy is but I imagine it's relaxed and probably ignored.

Comment

• You have to think as well that these are the deaths that are being reported and it's hard to get a true picture without looking at overall population decline, which this article indicates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...cetime-decline

There was quite a lot of commentary from Garry Kasparov (Chess grand master turned political commentator/activist) that it shows the massive distrust that most people have in government that they are not having the vaccine. You can't have overt opposition to the state and people come knocking on your door should you start posting stuff online, but it shows a kind of passive resistance to the Russian Gov (or really just Putin and his crime gang).

Comment

• Lord0fHats
                    Lord0fHats commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s pretty bad. Russia was already facing a rapidly aging population that was declining.

• Colin Powell, military leader and first Black US secretary of state, dies after complications from Covid-19

Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21st, has died from complications from Covid-19, his family said on Facebook. He was 84.

"General Colin L. Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to complications from Covid 19," the Powell family wrote on Facebook, noting he was fully vaccinated.
                  "We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," they said.
                  I'd be a lot more sympathetic if he wasn't one of the assholes who got us into a several-decade long war by knowingly lying and (IIRC) making shit up to justify invading the Middle East.

Comment

• Tannhauser42
                    Tannhauser42 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think I'd still rather have 10 Colin Powells than one Ted Cruz, Mitch McConnell, or MTG.

• Pacific
                    Pacific commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Although I remember at the time that Colin was apparently the main one pushing for making the attempt to build an international consensus for the invasion to the UN and to try and get a multi-lateral consensus. Much of the US government didn't believe that was worthwhile and intended to carry out the military action entirely unilaterally. I know that he didn't manage to get much of an international consensus (the UK and support of states that obtained some of US benefit as a result), and that ultimately the invasion was a disaster for that region of the world and the people of Iraq, but he at least attempted to do something more for a military action that was always going to happen regardless.

He came across as a man of principle, something that seemed to be entirely lacking amongst the current selection of leading Republicans.

• Something I ran across on youtube. Rustle Brand talking a bit about political biases and how they effect perceptions about Covid. Errr, So If THIS Isn’t Misinformation Then WHAT IS??! - YouTube

Comment

• Wolfblade
                    Wolfblade commented
                    Editing a comment
                    So, literally no comment on your previous post huh?

• Originally posted by cuda1179 View Post
                  Something I ran across on youtube. Rustle Brand talking a bit about political biases and how they effect perceptions about Covid. Errr, So If THIS Isn’t Misinformation Then WHAT IS??! - YouTube
                  Can you summarize your point, so I don't need to listen to Russel Brand for 8 minutes 50?

I'm listening now and I don't think he's wrong, but I'm not sure what your point is.

The biggest point is how you should follow the science rather than the political party lines, which is pretty much what we've been saying.
                  Last edited by Herzlos2; 10-19-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• The Pro-COVID Measures continue.....

Police officers and unions put up a fight against vaccine mandates for public workers

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/19/10471...dates-covid-19

For hundreds of public employees in the state of Washington, where a new vaccine mandate for state employees went into effect this week, Monday was their last day on the job. That includes a sergeant with the Washington State Patrol who told KUOW that he had made an appointment to turn in his patrol car and equipment.

In Los Angeles County, Sheriff Alex Villanueva announced earlier this month that he would not carry out the county's mandate for his department's 18,000 employees, warning that the nation's most populous county could lose "5, 10% of my workforce overnight."

And in Chicago, the clash between police and city officials over the city's vaccine mandate has grown so contentious that a judge ordered the local union president to stop making public statements after the city's attorney accused him of "municipal sedition and treason."

As vaccine mandates for public employees begin to take effect across the country, police officers and the unions that represent them are putting up a fight, frustrating officials who say their goal is to minimize deaths as the COVID-19 pandemic drags on.

and in the world of sports journalism....

ESPN's Allison Williams explains why she's giving up her job over a vaccine mandate

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/18/10470...vaccine-mandat

ESPN college basketball and football reporter Allison Williams has joined a small minority of workers who have quit or been fired from their jobs over a vaccine mandate.

"I have been denied my request for accommodation by ESPN and the Walt Disney Company, and effective next week, I will be separated from the company," she said in a video posted to Instagram on Friday.

ESPN's parent company, Disney, had announced a vaccine mandate over the summer with a deadline of this Friday, Oct. 22.

Washington State fires its football coach over COVID-19 vaccine mandate

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...avirus-vaccine

Head football coach Nick Rolovich was fired by Washington State University for refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine as required by a mandate for state employees.

Four of Rolovich's assistant coaches — Ricky Logo, John Richardson, Craig Stutzmann and Mark Weber — were also terminated by the university for failure to get fully vaccinated by Monday.

"This is a disheartening day for our football program. Our priority has been and will continue to be the health and well-being of the young men on our team," WSU Director of Athletics Pat Chun said in an announcement. "The leadership on our football team is filled with young men of character, selflessness and resiliency and we are confident these same attributes will help guide this program as we move forward."

Rolovich is being replaced by defensive coordinator Jake Dickert, who will be elevated to acting head coach.

Rolovich was one of the highest-paid public employees in Washington with a salary of $3.1 million, according to earlier reports.

More reasons why we can not have nice things........
                    Last edited by Easy E; 10-19-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Wolfblade
                      Wolfblade commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On the bright side, it's getting rid of cops who do not believe in public safety and nurses/doctors who do not believe in public health.
                      Last edited by Wolfblade; 10-19-2021, 04:41 PM.

• Bunnies
                      Bunnies commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was going to say, the Venn diagram of people who would quit the police force over a jab and the people who'd bash a bloke for being black must be pretty close to a circle, so good riddance. The sheriff not pulling the trigger shows what kind of cops he's happy having under his command

• Unsurprisingly, COVID testing procedures for schools are apparently pretty lax:

There's A COVID Testing Scam In My L.A. School And No One Is Listening To Me

Earlier this semester, many students at the school where I teach in Los Angeles confessed to me and each other that, on more than one occasion, they’ve faked results for the COVID tests they are required to take each week. They do this by converting the PDF of their results to a Word document and then changing the dates. When I asked why, one student just shrugged and said, “It’s less of a hassle.” I suppose this explains why the COVID testing sites on campus are seldom crowded (even though students are required to be tested regardless of vaccination status) and the school’s COVID updates remain stagnant.

I tried this scam myself weeks ago. When I approached the security guard at the entrance kiosk where students and teachers are checked for symptoms and test results, I felt like I was hiding a ticking bomb — not a doctored test result ― in my briefcase (though maybe it’s the same thing). The guard glanced quickly at the document and waved me through. It was that easy. I do, in fact, get tested every week for COVID ― because I care about the health and safety of the people I work with and teach ― but I’ve frequently shown altered test results over the past several weeks to see if I’d ever get stopped. It’s never happened and, as far as I know, no one else has ever been stopped either.

Comment

• feeder
                      feeder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Properly verifying test results each day, on an LA high school population, would take either a lot of time or a lot of money. I think the public school system has neither of those things.

Even checking in at a 'table service' establishment can get really backed up if there's more than a few couples checking in, and that's just scanning a QR code and then checking the info against your ID.

• Wolfblade
                      Wolfblade commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I could be wrong but I don't think it's "get tested every day for every kid" though, I think it's once a week per kid which may still be difficult but I don't think so anywhere near as much so.

• Herzlos2
                      Herzlos2 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's twice a week in the UK, so I guess US schools will be similar.

But from an admin point of view it's probably easier to check the paperwork on everyone every day instead of tracking who has/hasn't presented paperwork that week.

Or they could do it all digitally using a unique ID on the test, but that'd be both efficient and thorough.

• Also in sports news......

NHL players close to 100 percent vaccinated, Daly says

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-players...ys/c-326168340

CHICAGO -- The NHL expects all but a few players to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 when the regular season begins Oct. 12 and hopes all players will be fully vaccinated at some point during the season.

"Our latest information really suggests 10 players or less will not be fully vaccinated by opening day of the regular season," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said at the NHL/NHLPA Player Media Tour on Thursday.

"Now, that is subject to change, obviously, because it's dependent on who makes the roster and who doesn't make the roster and what the status of those players are, so it's really a projection at this point.

"But I think we're safe in saying that it's going to be less than 15 [players]."

There could be up to 736 players on NHL rosters when the season begins, with a maximum of 23 players on each of the 32 teams. Daly said up to 25 teams should have full vaccination status on opening day.

"We've had some player reluctance on vaccination," Daly said. "Our latest information is that reluctance is receding. Some players who were holdouts are going to go forward and get vaccinated, so hopefully at some point in the season we'll have 100 percent fully vaccinated."

The numbers are a result of buy-in from the players and COVID-19 protocols that incentivize vaccination. The protocols were designed in consultation with medical experts and negotiated between the NHL and NHLPA.

I knew there was a reason I liked Hockey best of all.

Comment

Working...
                  X