Crime Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Rates

There is a lot of buzz about a surge in violent crime going on. This lead to some new anti-crime proposals from President Biden.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/10092...g-gun-violence

The White House Announces New Steps To Try To Curb Surging Gun Violence

Citing the uptick in violence since the coronavirus pandemic forced millions of Americans out of work and into their homes for extended periods, administration officials said Biden on Wednesday will announce a five-point proposal that includes:
    • Cracking down on gun sellers who violate federal laws, with a new zero-tolerance policy.
    • Giving additional support to local law enforcement to help with summer crime increases.
    • Investing in community violence intervention programs.
    • Expanding summer employment and services, particularly for teens and young adults.
    • Helping formerly incarcerated individuals successfully reenter their communities.

A senior administration official told reporters Tuesday night that the Treasury Department will also inform states that they can use funds allotted by the American Rescue Plan to aid in reducing gun violence. Monies awarded via the COVID-19 relief law can be used to hire additional police officers and pay out overtime, as well as to assist in funding employment opportunities for youths and at-risk adults.
    I would love to see a few more articles people can link to about the surge in crime. I am not sure how real it is, or if it is just a % change. A quick glance and I didn't find too much data, just anecdotal stuff.

Man, Biden really is an amazing republican president.

Comment

Did they try defunding the police?

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_annes_revenge View Post
        Did they try defunding the police?
        They should. Three of their bulletpointed strategies are precisely what people wish to divert some funding from the police into.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinypixe View Post
          Man, Biden really is an amazing republican president.
          I did have a thread on the old forum about how Biden was delivering on the Trump/White Working Class agenda better than Trump himself ever did. Yet for some reason, Biden is bad and Trump is good. I wonder what the difference is?

Comment

• Lord0fHats
            Lord0fHats commented
            Editing a comment
            That Trump had no such agenda?

The guy was fundamentally agendaless, unless we count self-aggrandizement.

• Easy E
            Easy E commented
            Editing a comment
            Ture. But I am going by what he claimed in some of his "Candidate" speeches against Hilary.

The surge seems real. What’s causing it is less clear. There are so many things going on at present that it probably isn’t any one thing but the issue is already being politicized to hell.

Given that nothing has really changed about law enforcement in most of the country, it seems unlikely that it’s related. This is probably more closely tied to the pandemic and social policy. I can’t help but notice that rising violent crime coincidides with the shut down of unemployment benefits and mounting frustration.

Comment

• Pacific
            Pacific commented
            Editing a comment
            I think the link of those things is pretty well established; crime levels in any country rise when you have a rising disparity and economic divide. And the pandemic will have stretched those things further.

Possibly related.....

Lawmakers Reach A Bipartisan Agreement On Police Reform

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/24/10100...-police-reform

Lawmakers in Washington, D.C., have reached a preliminary, bipartisan agreement on police reform after months of closely watched debate on the topic.

Sens. Tim Scott, R-S.C., and Cory Booker, D-N.J., and Rep. Karen Bass, D-Calif., announced the agreement on Thursday evening.

"After months of working in good faith, we have reached an agreement on a framework addressing the major issues for bipartisan police reform," the lawmakers said in a joint statement.

"There is still more work to be done on the final bill, and nothing is agreed to until everything is agreed to. Over the next few weeks we look forward to continuing our work toward getting a finalized proposal across the finish line."

The exact details of the plan were not immediately clear.
          Of course, a Bipartisan framework means jack and squat until the votes get counted......

Comment

• SilverbackWookie
            SilverbackWookie commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like its a similar bill to Tim Scott's bill last year based on the summary. (which Democrats filibustered)

I'm curious what exactly will be in this bill that differentiated to last year's that democrats are now willing to vote on.

• Easy E
            Easy E commented
            Editing a comment
            Tim Scott did drive the bill, but I think they had to come together based on Police accountability.

Originally posted by Lord0fHats View Post
          The surge seems real. What’s causing it is less clear. There are so many things going on at present that it probably isn’t any one thing but the issue is already being politicized to hell.

Given that nothing has really changed about law enforcement in most of the country, it seems unlikely that it’s related. This is probably more closely tied to the pandemic and social policy. I can’t help but notice that rising violent crime coincidides with the shut down of unemployment benefits and mounting frustration.
          I think part of the causation is the recent laissez faire attitudes to the riots we've experienced since Ferguson. Folks starts believing they can get away with violence as the more those "big events" seem to go unpunished.

Not sure if that's really true, just an educated guess.

What's amazing to me, though, is that story about the two Puerto Ricans* literally executed when they were pulled out of their car in Chicago. Don't get me wrong, it's a "story" in Chicago, but the amazing part is that it isn't "the story" nationally.

To me, if the debate centers around gun rights or gun control, we're not having a serious debate on how to address the rising crime. The discussions need to be centered on the individuals pulling the trigger.

* link: https://www.wfla.com/news/national/m...an-day-parade/

Comment

• Easy E
            Easy E commented
            Editing a comment
            Crime rates were on the rise pre-pandemic, just like Economic Inequality.

• Lord0fHats
            Lord0fHats commented
            Editing a comment
            As a point of fact, violent crime fell in 2019, like it had in nearly every year for awhile. Violent crime continued to fall in 2020. It was murder specifically that increased by a small margin.

• SilverbackWookie
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I should've been clearer. In my mind I meant murder when I wrote violent crimes.

"get away unpunished" is a weird phrasing for "being maimed by rubber bullets, choked with tear gas and arrested en masse"
          You already forgot how the police was aiming their riot guns at the protesters' faces?

Comment

Originally posted by Shinypixe View Post
            "get away unpunished" is a weird phrasing for "being maimed by rubber bullets, choked with tear gas and arrested en masse"
            You already forgot how the police was aiming their riot guns at the protesters' faces?
            As they should have been. Play riot games, win riot prizes.

Comment

• nfe
              nfe commented
              Editing a comment
              Mod hat. If you want to have a conversation about what constitutes reasonable force or the limits of acceptable police responses or whatever then start a thread. Please don't chuck flippant endorsements of violence around.

• Queen_annes_revenge
              Queen_annes_revenge commented
              Editing a comment
              If you riot, you should expect to get dealt with by riot police? I don't see anything particularly unreasonable about that in and of itself?

We know you're a bootlicker, that post was unnecessary.

Comment

• feeder
              feeder commented
              Editing a comment
              That was bait. Now you have "insulted" QAR and that is actionable.

• Shinypixe
              Shinypixe commented
              Editing a comment
              You assume I give a singular flying care. He's not once engaged in anything remotely like open mind or honest debate. I see no reason why I should be polite to someone who uses the site as a latrine.

/stepping up to the MOD podium, throat clearing:

Shinypixe please refrain from name calling. We've had really good debates since this site's rebirth. If you want to challenge Queen_annes_revenge 's premise, please address that.

Comment

• SilverbackWookie
              Editing a comment
              Wolfblade and @Shinypixe
              What exactly are you looking for a mod to do here? Please specific, put a mod hat on and tell me what you would do?

If you think QAR is baiting people and trolling, did you flag it? I may have missed it.

• Wolfblade
              Wolfblade commented
              Editing a comment
              My issue is with reprimanding people responding to the troll, but not reprimanding the actual troll.

• SilverbackWookie
              Editing a comment
              Wolfblade, again, name calling a poster because you think it's a valid response to trollish behavior isn't acceptable. Attack the merits of the post, not the person.

If you think QAR's post is objectionable, please, please flag it for mods to review, I saw his post and it was a flippant response, but maybe I'm missing the full context. Hence why I and the mod team need help from the community to flag any post with the needed context so that the mod team can crowd-source together and determine the next steps.

As they should have been. Play riot games, win riot prizes.
            Would love to have your take on the multiple instances of international press being attacked while clearly identifying themselves as such, or the people being shot at for having the temerity to be sitting on their own porch.

Comment

Originally posted by AlmightyWalrus View Post

Would love to have your take on the multiple instances of international press being attacked while clearly identifying themselves as such, or the people being shot at for having the temerity to be sitting on their own porch.
              If someone's rights are violated, then the perpetrator should be punished. Why would I think anything different?

Comment

If someone's rights are violated, then the perpetrator should be punished. Why would I think anything different?
                Because you consistently gloss over the many instances of this happening. The fact that the police acted the way they did kinda proves the point of the protests in the first place, but you'd rather hyper-focus on the rioting.

Comment

Working...
                X