No announcement yet.

"Freedom phone" and US right-wing grift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not just the US though. Anecdote time!
    A few years ago the missus and I went to London to visit a friend of hers who lives there. He and my wife are both evangelical christians from Brasil. He's pretty religious, so we went to church while we were there.
    I kid you not, the pastor of this small (and from what I could see generally fairly poor) Brasilian congregation in London during the sermon was basically bragging that he'd gone to Brasil on the church's money to buy a bigger collection bowl so he could receive more money off these people. To "do the Lord's work" of course. Which is apparently to go on all-expenses paid trips for missionary work in a tropical country that IIRC is over 90% christian.

And people wonder why I criticize religion so vehemently.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Doc Grotsnik View Post
      The same self-appointed Pastors saying “only believe your Bible, it’s true because it says it is and anyone that says otherwise is a danger to you and the USA” are also pedalling the woo - and both in the name of separating the gullible from their dollars, so they can live outrageous lifestyles, whilst seeing their flock living in poverty and doing absolutely fuck all about it.
      Hey now, this isn't true. They don't do fuck all about it, they actively prey upon them to keep them in poverty.

Comment

Father Oliver (Last Week Tonight) had a segment for this:
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

All about the ridiculous predatory methods that are somehow legal in the US. He even got his own church:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_...tual_Exemption

Comment

• BranDawri
          BranDawri commented
          Editing a comment
          I saw that one. Hilarious

I mean….. I guess.

Still, at least a bunch of self proclaimed Prophets utterly, utterly fucked it over the US Election. And seeing them “speaking in tongues” is equally baffling, achingly hilarious and fucking worrying given their flock swallow it hook line and sinker.

Example. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZIrU7m0gx0

Comment

In the movie the Polka King BJ Smoove plays an IRS agent, and he has a great line about the victims of pyramid schemes that I will paraphrase.....

"They spend all their time complaining about how the government is taking all their money in taxes and not giving them enough social security money. Then, they lose their life savings trying to avoid those taxes to some grifter, and who do they go crying to? The government."

That line really summed it up pretty well.

Comment

https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...p-cards-2021-8

Comment

• Easy E
              Easy E commented
              Editing a comment
              It would be better if they had tracking chips in them.....

• Too Hot To Trot
              Too Hot To Trot commented
              Editing a comment
              I wonder how many will ask for the card with the typo on it.

https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-ha...ly-stuck-kabul

Comment

Photo taken near the San Bernardino Natl. Wildlife Refuge, trumps border wall after seasonal flood hits it. Scale-able, cut-able, now it turns out it's not water resistant. What an amazing investment.

Comment

Mm. It’s got hinges, and appears a wholly different design to the standard. That one looks to be an intentioned design decision to be able to allow flood waters thru so they don’t tear the whole thing down.

Comment

Yeah, they realized part way through that you'd have to build in flood gates or the whole thing comes down. What apparently hasn't happened before the picture above was taken was someone coming along, clearing out the debris and shutting the gates.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Trump's wall with an incendiary passion for a variety of reasons, but let's keep to reality.

Comment

It Does look like even with the gates open some of the hinges have still broken however.

Comment

Also, if you wish to bypass the wall, you can simply wait for just after a flood and march though the holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Haighus View Post
                        Also, if you wish to bypass the wall, you can simply wait for just after a flood and march though the holes.
                        Why bypass it though when you just can steal the parts and sell them in mexico?

Comment

Apologies it took me this long to post….

But did someone mention right wing quasi-religious grift???

Comment

Working...
                          X