Forum Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Moderation

So, if we decide to go forward with a moderated forum in some way how do we do that?

Are we going for a voting system? Nominations? Volunteers?

What will be terms of service? Length of "tour" etc?

How many moderators should we have? How do we divvy that up? What about scaled responsibilities? Mods to cover specific areas or more general access/ powers?

We already have Dread and HordinI who stepped upto the plate but they certainly need some support.

Balance, how do we ensure that we don't have a "tilted " mod team, so to as avoid the accusations of partisanship and bias. Is that even a thing? Do we expect our mod teams to declare their "leaning" and then stick to some quota?

Just want to get some discussion going on how to approach this. I've always felt that good moderation is absolutely essential to any attempt at having an adult conversation on the Internet, I don't think the site can work without a decent team.

I think moderation style would / should be determined by whomever is taking the reigns (financially).

As much as I admire RiTide’s experiment with democratic appointment, were I to take over the site’s financials, I’d be the first mod, and I’d invite future mods as I saw fit.

Benevolent dictatorship.

Comment

That's what I'm scared of. From history, I don't have confidence in your ability to moderate. I don't think I'm the only one and that would hurt the site participation.

Comment

I'd agree and I think GBT's instant enthusiasm to buy himself a forum that he played a fundamental part in burning down is a massive red flag.

Comment

Update on where we currently stand:

Hordini hasn't posted since the site was put back up. Not sure if he's seen it, I poked him on Discord. Activity / availability to post and turn things around was never his strong suit (although everything else was!) as he was very upfront would be the case from the start. Still, I think his activity may have declined since then...

Dreadwinter has been active in discussions since the site was put back up, but I'm not sure he wants to continue in the role in a reboot (and was more helping give context and feedback on how things went the first time around).

I think everyone is agreed that some active hands are needed, so it's possible things are back to square one on that front (i.e. hands willing to be very active in moderation). Obviously, as GBT points out, I will not be making this decision regardless of who (or what group) takes the reins! Just wanted to give this as context of the current / prior state of things.

Comment

• BaronIveagh
            BaronIveagh commented
            Editing a comment
            Ritides, I haven't heard back from you about my offer to simply foot the whole bill.

*shrug* I made mistakes the first go round, thinking I had support for the ideas I had. The first go-round was hampered by an inability to implement my ideas.

Without such fetters, and not being beholden to anyone else, I feel that with the lessons learned would serve me well in creating the space that RiTide had initially envisioned.

Comment

• Dreadwinter
            Dreadwinter commented
            Editing a comment
            That isn't why it was hampered. It was hampered by your inability to understand that people have lives and you don't get to dictate that. We told you we had RL issues and we needed time before we got to mod work. You said you didn't care. End of story.

I'm not talking about your removal from the Admin team. I am talking before that, where you ignored and misrepresented other people's statements and then closed the thread when it wasn't going your way. That was a big 'no way in hell' moment where you showed you were not mature enough to be a moderator.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBigTree View Post
            I think moderation style would / should be determined by whomever is taking the reigns (financially).

As much as I admire RiTide’s experiment with democratic appointment, were I to take over the site’s financials, I’d be the first mod, and I’d invite future mods as I saw fit.

Benevolent dictatorship.
            I agree with this, whoever takes the forum ownership owner should be making the ultimate call on moderating and rules - they are the ones with the biggest investment in it and the biggest risk since there's nothing stopping people leaving anyway.

If there's contention over who takes control then thats up to RiTides to decide upon, though there's nothing stopping him from asking the members.

If I took over I'd be moderating it my way and the trolls would be gone, but I don't have time to take it on.

Comment

Well then, I suppose we aren’t going to agree on my abilities to moderate.

And I don’t think accusing a 40 year old with wife, kids, house, job, and a great life all-around of lacking maturity is making the point you had hoped it would.

I am impulsive, but quite willing to accept the consequences of my actions. Like I said, I don’t think we have the same definition of maturity.

And it only matters if I take over the site... lots of other options that I suspect would be more popular choices. I just offer a solution in keeping with the original intent.

Comment

• Wolfblade
                Wolfblade commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure, at least I admit and don't pretend to be some "enlightened teacher" like you. Remember that time you insisted "unconditional surrender" was a compromise? Yeah, I do. It made you look stupid. Or how about the time you tried to use your mental illness to bludgeon everyone else, while misrepresenting what everyone else saying like an asshole.

If I'm an asshole, you're at least my equal. But unlike you, I've never been a bigoted fuckhead.
                Last edited by Wolfblade; 06-04-2021, 07:12 PM.

• Dreadwinter
                Dreadwinter commented
                Editing a comment
                You are 100% impulsive and immature. You didn't understand that Hordini and I needed time and you attempted to ram your own rules through without any feedback from us. I am hoping RiTides kept those posts around so that the new owner can read through them and see how not to moderate.

• BaronIveagh
                BaronIveagh commented
                Editing a comment
                Wolfblade That's debatable there, Mr 'Send the Conservatives to the Camps!' As soon as you advocate for sending anyone to prison/reeducation/death camps, you're pretty much a 'bigoted fuckhead' at that point, no matter what you were before.

And I don’t think accusing a 40 year old with wife, kids, house, job, and a great life all-around of lacking maturity is making the point you had hoped it would.
              That you respond to criticism with this kind of thing is the problem and is not a sign of maturity when it comes to discourse on the internet, which is what matters here. Elon Musk has all that you just listed there but he's still an absolutely immature moron when it comes to his discourse online.

I am impulsive, but quite willing to accept the consequences of my actions. Like I said, I don’t think we have the same definition of maturity.
              Maturity is not just accepting the consequences, but learning from them.
              Last edited by Too Hot To Trot; 06-04-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• BobtheInquisitor
                BobtheInquisitor commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah. His response almost feels like a non-sequitur to me, like his response only makes sense if one assumes he understands individual words but not the actual criticism.

• Wolfblade
                Wolfblade commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd also point out he doesn't accept the consequences of his actions by the way he's trying to throw the other two admins under the bus for his own actions.

Benevolent dictatorship.
              This is not what I was hoping to hear when RITides suggested we work together...

Would you avoid moderating threads in which you are participating?

Would you be willing to work as part of a team and defer to a vote that goes against you?

Would you be willing to drop advocacy for contrary opinions for their own sake?

Comment

GBT, serious question. Why didn't you just start your own forum anyway? Why buy into a forum where a good portion of the user base don't trust you? Seems like a bit of a power trip to me.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Squared View Post
                  GBT, serious question. Why didn't you just start your own forum anyway? Why buy into a forum where a good portion of the user base don't trust you? Seems like a bit of a power trip to me.
                  knowing me, I’d sign up to a separate forum run by GBT just to see how it plays out. However, I’m confident that his approach and his baggage make him a poor choice as moderator for this particular forum again.

Comment

To move beyond the GBT topic.....

I am not a fan of heavy moderation, BUT we would need clear guidelines around certain topics that either could or could not exist. Any topic about Human Rights, genocides/ethnic cleansing, abortion, etc. we might want to say are off limits?

Comment

If I’m honest, taking on a turn-key operation is a lot easier than starting from scratch. And I have no interest in sharing control, because I would go against a vote if I thought it was for the good of the site, which I did, and “suffered” the consequences.

I can’t imagine my state had I agreed to wait... 8 weeks-ish to put out rules. I don’t believe in putting off work because it’s inconvenient.

Centrism, in practice, means needing to be comfortable with not having reliable allies. It means being comfortable with constant negotiation and rebalancing.

It takes a highly determined leader leader to work. For example, the last leader of the Liberal party that “made it work” was Jean Chrétien. A borderline narcissist that nonetheless implemented a 7% tax that was needed to correct Canada’s national finances and was basically opposed by everyone. But he got it implemented and Canada’s financial status was much improved, despite support from nobody.

So that’s why I don’t want to share. Centrism doesn’t work without a strong, willful leader. I think that’s what’s needed to prevent the echo chamber. To allow the unpopular, and further to see it protected.

Shawinigan Handshake. Sometimes you need to reach out and touch someone to make a point. ?

Comment

• BobtheInquisitor
                        BobtheInquisitor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Centrism as a goal unto itself is a bad idea. Might as well start killing half the puppies now.

• R_Squared
                        R_Squared commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The idea that "Centrism" is the ideal is worthy of a debate all of it's own, however, being a "Centrist" does not mean that you are an arbiter of power or the ideal moderator.
                        To expand the political metaphor, in the UK the Liberal Democrats, the UK "centrist party", went into power with the right wing Tories in order to "curb their excess'". They failed spectacularly, enabled a bunch of right wing nonsense including harsh and unnecessary, punitive austerity and everyone now thinks they're Cunts, and rightly so.

• GreatBigTree
                        GreatBigTree commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Well, maybe we can debate the value of centrism as an ideal some time in the future. ? I’ll happily take the “pro” side.
                    Working...
                    X