Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreatBigTree View Post
    Well, I asked for a second.
    I'm your second. I skipped the middle man and made the poll. We got two different poll threads now, we will be able to see what people think. Just give it some time, not everyone is logged in all the time, and maybe some people want to think before they vote.
    [edit] Didn't you edit your post to add the last sentence? Or did I just miss it like an idiot ?[/edit]

Comment

• GreatBigTree
      GreatBigTree commented
      Editing a comment
      I expect I edited. No harm, no foul.

• GBT, stop acting like you have any measure of authority. You're a disgraced ex-admin.

Comment

• Oh, little doggy. Heel. This is an opinion seeking exercise! We’ve been arguing over the “opinion” of “the people” and now the people have an opportunity to be heard. It has no direct impact on anyone, save to see what the people think.

Our moderation team seems to want to do what the people say. *If* the post is considered inappropriate, perhaps they’ll begin enforcing the decorum... guidelines.

And maybe they won’t! But if “the people” don’t care about people flinging insults at each other, because they can’t respect other posters, then this place has failed (in my eyes) and isn’t worth investing time in.

To which, I would consider an “I don’t care” vote to simply mean they are ok with it happening. They don’t want to see it stopped, so there we go! A tacit acceptance of the status quo means it is acceptable.

If the “it’s inappropriate” vote does not exceed the “acceptable/don’t care/female space Marines” group, I bid you best wishes and take my leave. Everybody wins! ?

Comment

• SilverbackWookie
        SilverbackWookie commented
        Editing a comment
        GBT. This isn't the place to discuss this. This thread is soliciting ideas and parameters for forum moderations. If you want to continue this tangent, please open up a different thread so that you can have the conversation you are seeking.

then this place has failed (in my eyes) and isn’t worth investing time in.
      Ironic, considering you tried to run it into the ground and are totally incapable of dealing with people pointing out flaws in your little temper tantrum you've been having here. You are in no position to give advice or demand the forum be run in any way after how badly you've fucked it up, and then harassed the admins and antagonized users.

Oh, and let's take a moment to appreciate the irony of you saying "Oh, little doggy. Heel" while demanding the admins enforce your version of the rules and make everyone behave in a civil manner. What a hypocrite. Oh sorry, you probably take offense at that because I'm labeling you with a negative (but accurate!) term.
      Last edited by Wolfblade; 07-04-2021, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• GreatBigTree You have left voluntarily before and yet, here we are. You have also already expressed that you don't really care about the opinion of the majority of posters here so I don't really see what this poll will accomplish other than you disregarding the results because of aforementioned opinion.

Comment

• Dreadwinter What can I say, I’m fickle like that. I can also say you’ve got me all wrong, and your ego is seemingly incapable of accepting the nature of what went wrong.

Go vote, if you haven’t already. Let your conscience be your guide.

Comment

• Wolfblade
            Wolfblade commented
            Editing a comment
            The sheer irony of you telling others they're wrong and they can't accept it while doing exactly that. What a hypocrite.

• Too Hot To Trot
            Too Hot To Trot commented
            Editing a comment
            GBT, you are what went wrong. You had no business being a moderator, you demonstrated zero aptitude for what the role requires. You laughably positioned yourself as someone who would serve as a "teacher" despite demonstrating none of the skills required to teach, such as the ability to handle criticism of your approach and adjust accordingly.

No good teacher blanketly believes that their method is the best method for teaching, like you do with regards to your views on moderation.

• I mean, I don't think my understanding of the situation is the issue here. Nor do I think my ego is of any issue here.

But there is an ego causing issues here. I voted already. Lookin grim.

Comment

• Looking disappointing. But not *entirely* unexpected at this point.

I continue to hope that the posters concerned with encountering challenging opinions, that feel respect for the other should be a core value of the site will make their voices heard. But maybe they’re gone. Maybe the core value of punishing the wicked *has* supplanted the initial purpose of the site.

We shall see. 6-ish days still to go.

Comment

• Wolfblade
              Wolfblade commented
              Editing a comment
              I eagerly await you giving out your password and asking to be banned. I suspect you won't though. I suspect you'll back down and pretend it was all a joke, or pretend no one seconded your stupid motion, despite OOOD doing so.

It'd be nice to see you accept responsibility for once instead of blaming everyone else.

I continue to hope that the posters concerned with encountering challenging opinions, that feel respect for the other should be a core value of the site will make their voices heard. But maybe they’re gone.
            The response you posted as an example of this being gone was a response to someone who posted that the rejection of their arguments was due to irrational belief and hysteria.

Same said poster has repeatedly used language as a weapon against marginalised groups, refusing to change their language when it was pointed out how they could say what they meant in a way which wasn't flat out insulting to people.

I do feel that respect for the other is important. You are the one who doesn't as you are more concerned with ensuring that people are able to insult and demonstrate a complete lack of respect for others than you are ensuring that the others are treated with respect.

So fuck off with that high horse bullshit. You never cared about showing respect to the marginalised people who were attacked by some posters, you only cared when people said that their behaviour in doing so wasn't acceptable and shouldn't be tolerated.

Comment

Looking disappointing. But not *entirely* unexpected at this point.

I continue to hope that the posters concerned with encountering challenging opinions, that feel respect for the other should be a core value of the site will make their voices heard. But maybe they’re gone. Maybe the core value of punishing the wicked *has* supplanted the initial purpose of the site.

We shall see. 6-ish days still to go.
              The core value *is* to deal with each other with respect GBT.

We can have dissent and still be respectful. I've already moderated a few posters along this vein, mostly privately (which is something you support!), in my short stint as a mod. We're also learning as we go, and really trying to encourage meaningful feedback as to how the community want this site to operate.

The thing to keep in mind is that the mods (and site owners) are not the site's babysitters. The expectation is that EVERYONE recognizes what lines shouldn't be crossed and moderate themselves. Even if lines are crossed, we should all encourage to extend enough grace to each other so that we can move past any hot-issues-of-the-day. We all should recognize that this group is NOT homogenous in any meaningful way, with the exception that we're all table-top gamers from Dakka. So, of course, the topics that most of us approach will be different, and in turn, that may create some lively debates. But, that's what we're looking for here, these lively debates so that we can learn and grow as we talk about these subjects.

It really shouldn't be primarily about who's right and who's wrong. It's about giving each other's space to say our piece and allow the debate to grow while at the same time respecting rule 0.

The biggest driver of respect, imo, is when someone takes the time to construct their posts in a very engaging manner, with supporting sources. The respondent also recognizes the work that was put into that post and responds with the same amount of respect and vigor. (as opposed to being dismissive or shitposting). THAT, will do so much of the heavy lifting of all sides abiding by the letter and spirit of rule 0.

And, I want to say, a lot of us here are doing just that and, for me, I'm hopeful that this will continue in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X