X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what rules did GBT want to post?

Hi Folks,

I hadn't previously posted this, in the interests of *not* making the previous mod team's life more difficult. But since that team and it's financial backing have been dissolved, I can't see a reason not to post it, just for the shiggles.

The following is the would-be post that I wanted to post, and was willing to "suffer" the consequences for. This is what I wanted to instigate, and in all likelihood would have implemented had I become the next owner of the site. This is why I was de-minned. It was deliberately tongue in cheek. I was expecting to drive community involvement even if was just to get people to become involved to say, "Wildly inappropes! Change it to sound less assy!" Which I would have gladly done.

*I WAS ABSOLUTELY COMFORTABLE WITH CHANGING ANYTHING HERE, PARTICULARLY THE WORDING. I JUST WANTED TO GET THINGS MOVING, SO THAT WE COULD START PUTTING OUT THE FIRES, EVEN IF IT WAS PERCEIVED THAT I STARTED THEM.* Here's what I wanted for the site.

ETC Forum Mission Statement:

The purpose of this site is to provide a space where people with wildly different opinions on topics can meet to either debate or discuss ideas. It is imperitive that posters treat each other with respect, even if someone has a view or opinion that you vehemently disagree with.

The “Spirit of the Game” for the debate forum, is to have a place where posters attempt to argue for their point of view. If you imagine yourself as part of a formal debate, where points and counterpoints, researched sources, and logical falacies are to be avoided, this is the section for you. If you want to win on the internet, this is the section for you.

The “Spirit of the Game” for the discussion forum, is to have a place where posters can freely share ideas. If you imagine yourself sitting around a table with friends, having a couple drinks and shooting the shit about whatever, this is the section for you. If you want to have a stimulating conversation with someone that might have ideas you consider offensive, but are willing to move past that and talk, and neither person is expected to win / lose, this section is for you.

THE RULES:

1: THOU SHALT NOT ENCOURAGE VIOLENCE. The very first and ultimate rule. While all manner of topics may come, inciting violence against anyone is a bannable offence. You can express dislike, or distrust. You can express that you can't understand why someone would do *whatever*. All people have a right to exist. All people deserve to be free from violence. If thou doth engage in the incitation of violence, thou shalt be removed, with no recourse.

2: Thou shalt not call names. In the debate forum, this is considered poor form as the idea is to determine the validity of the argument, not the validity of the poster. In the discussion forum, calling names is also considered poor form, as the spirit of the game is to explore ideas, not judge the poster of the ideas. If thou canst hold thine tongue, thou shouldst fucketh right off.

3: Thou shalt not cross-contaminate threads. Keep the happenings of other threads in those other threads. Don't bring up that thing someone did 3 years ago on another site. In the debate forum, this is considered poor form, as it detracts from the focus of the thread. In the discussion forum, this is considered poor form as again, we're considering the value of an idea for its merits, and if someone wants to talk about something else, they can discuss that in a thread for that purpose. If thou canst leave thine baggage at the door, thou shouldst fucketh right off.

4: Thou shalt engage with the topic of the thread. The purpose is not to disallow people to express their personalities, or occasionally drop a one-liner for the giggles. The idea is that if someone has started a thread, they want to talk about that. Try to at least tangentally engage with the topic in your post. If thou canst contribute to the thread, thou shouldst fucketh right off.

5: Thou shalt not publicly call for the punishment of another poster. It's bullying, plain and simple. We all choose to be here of our own free will. We come here, knowing we will probably meet people we don't agree with. If you feel a poster is violating a rule, please report it via the “report a post” feature. Alternatively, you can PM an Admin. If thou canst resist the urge to publicly deny another poster their right to be here, thou shouldst fucketh right off.

6: Thou art responsible for thine actions. We want everyone that comes here to be able to speak their mind, barring the incitation of violence. That doesn't mean people will agree with you, or respect you, if you post opinions that are “Not safe for work”. We wish to be as true to the idea of free speech as we can, but “Hate Speech” isn't welcome. Posts that are “on the line” may be edited by Admins, or deleted, at the Admins discretion. If thou aren't prepared to suffer the consequences of thine actions, thou shouldst fucketh right off.

7: Thou shalt not “link drop” or post a picture without explanation. This site is not meant to be a place to share memes, nor is it a place to drop random links to who knows what. If you feel a link is important to share information with, that's ok. Thou shalt provide explanation for thine links and pictures. If thou wishest to perform the most heinous of drive-bys, thou shouldst instead fucketh right off.

8: Thou shouldst enjoy thine time here. Your life is finite. If you aren't having a good time, if you're angry and frustrated, send a PM to an Admin. Maybe we can help, or explain something. Worst case scenario, we tell you, “That's just the way it is” and you can decide if you wish to remain here. We want as many voices here as we can, so we encourage you to try to find something enjoyable here, but it may be that isn't the way it is. Thou shouldst enjoy thine life, and if this place does not bring you enjoyment, thou shouldst find happiness in another place.

So your intention was to cause people to get involved by being wildly inappropriate?

You thought this was Mod appropriate?

Comment

So, I notice a suspicious lack of any sort of language expressly banning bigotry, unless you deem something "hate speech" which based on your track record, you don't consider statements like "all trans people are mentally ill" to be hate speech as you've repeatedly defended that statement.

Also, what the fuck is with all the stupid "thou"s, "-eth"s, and so on? It just looks pretentious as fuck.

Comment

• BaronIveagh
        BaronIveagh commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that would fall under the broader heading of calling names.

• Wolfblade
        Wolfblade commented
        Editing a comment
        Not according to GBT previously.

Based. Looks like a decent set of rules in my opinion.
      ​​​​​

Comment

• Herzlos2
        Herzlos2 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not surprised you approve of the bigotry friendly rules.

The KJV wording is certainly an interesting choice.

Comment

• Lord0fHats
        Lord0fHats commented
        Editing a comment
        Puts certain other thinks into an interesting context, don't it?

• GreatBigTree
        GreatBigTree commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations! You’ve caught me! You are victorious. I have lost.

This is the set of rules that was posted by GBT. We were told that it WAS going to be posted on the Sunday and we had missed our chances to discuss or talk about them. We were then told if there were no major objections with the rules, they were going to be put in place regardless of how we felt about them on the following Sunday.

Obviously we had objections just with the wording. The sad part is the following Wednesday, Hordini and I got together and used these as a basis, because we at least wanted to have the 3rd mod there in spirit. However, we had to strip everything down to its basic meaning and a lot of it was redundant and there was quite a bit of stuff we wanted to add. It took a couple hours to get down.

One major objection Hordini and I had to this was we wanted to show a united front as a Mod team. One mod going rogue and posting their own rules with no other mod input didn't really do that. It actually undermined the whole process.

Comment

I wasn’t expecting that to survive. ? I had hoped the tongue-in-cheek nature of the initial proposal might help to make it... less cut-throat?

Our site has two widely grouped people. The fighters and the sharers. The fighters want a site where they can be victorious over those with different views. The sharers want to be able to discuss *anything* in search of different truths to the questions of life.

I’m in the second camp. I’m *more* interested in people’s whys, then which of us is right. It’s the reason I ran. I wanted to make sure that would be part of the site moving forward, and that I could create a space separate from the fighters that “we” could participate in without the... singular focus... of the fighters.

My continued engagement here is in the hopes of seeing that vision through. The advice I give, the responses I make... I pursue that goal, still.

Comment

And that is 100% why you need to be banned.

Comment

"Fighters and sharers" is some of the worst misrepresentation of the 'groups' so far.

"People with some notion of respectful discourse versus free speech at all costs, even if horribly offensive" would be more accurate.

Comment

• GreatBigTree
              GreatBigTree commented
              Editing a comment
              Congratulations! Your contrary assertion, and accusations of misrepresentation on my behalf has won you points on the internet.

You are victorious, and I am defeated.

Originally posted by GreatBigTree View Post
            Our site has two widely grouped people. The fighters and the sharers. The fighters want a site where they can be victorious over those with different views. The sharers want to be able to discuss *anything* in search of different truths to the questions of life.
            Which group do you put Grey Eminence in?

Because they certainly were not looking for any truth as to the existence of trans people.

Comment

Originally posted by Too Hot To Trot View Post

Which group do you put Grey Eminence in?

Because they certainly were not looking for any truth as to the existence of trans people.
              Because he didn't believe your 'truth'?

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_annes_revenge View Post

Because he didn't believe your 'truth'?
                The consensus of the worldwide medical profession, yes.

Comment

I would say Grey started as a sharer. He and I engaged thoughts, and he taught me the word “hyper-individualist”. I would like to think I showed him that not all progressives are assholes, and at least worthy of talking to.

I suspect that after constant attack by our fighters, he became a fighter himself. I can say that when one is under seemingly constant attack from all sides, it’s tough to keep an open mind.

Thank you for asking me a question, and allowing me to share my thoughts.

Do you think that the *rough* divide I’ve suggested is accurate, or do you think that it is incorrect?

Comment

(I’d like to avoid creating another proxy war thread for our trans “issue”, please.)

Comment

I'm going to go a bit further than GBT there, this isn't going to become a thread for rehashing the trans discussion, not until we have some rules in place and the mod team organised (be that by elections in the end or by appointment, whatever the end result is). This is a thread about GBT's proposed rules from the last go around, and I guess it's branching into his vision of the forum and the userbase. That in and of itself has plenty of discussion to be had.

It's not for the trans discussion, thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X