Subdivisions of the Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdivisions of the Forum

Thread for discussing how the forum will be divided into subforums.

My personal suggestion is can we add a subforum for technical discussions? Reporting technical errors, ideas for improving forum layouts and features, etc.

Previously on here such threads just got made in the discussion area mostly. Something like the Dakka nuts 'n' bolts subforum would be ideal.

Definitely agree that something like nuts and bolts is needed, along with a general off topic chat forum (so we can all learn about heavy metal!). Do we think breaking down forums by region is needed? So political discussion for the European zone, North America, Asia etc. What about for Religion/Philosophy? Should they get sub forums as well?

Comment

Yes. A philosophy and religion area is somewhere I would be interested in, and splitting politics into regions makes sense also.
      Last edited by Queen_annes_revenge; 06-06-2021, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Given the small user base, I think we had too many boards to be honest.

I don't think we need more than boards for

1) politics cause that's the point
        2) non-politics for more low level stuff
        3) technical support for technical stuff
        4) a mods board for the mods/admins to use, not for the general user base.

Expand the boards as they become apparently necessary. For example, yeah a philosophy/religion board would be great, but if we only generate 1 or 2 such discussions a week it's not really serving much of a purpose that a general non-politics board couldn't accommodate.

Comment

Non-politics boards don't generally allow discussion of religion either for the same reasons they don't allow discussion of politics.

A nuts and bolts forum would be useful as I've had technical questions before. Good place for 'is this allowed' type discussions also.

Plus what we had before - I found interesting tidbits in the other forums we had before as well and the existence can help to humanize the other posters / Cool down the heat a bit as they do foster places for agreement where politics doesn't.

Comment

While it doesn’t need a dedicated board, having a “complaint thread” would be a suggestion I have. Not that this forum won’t be run perfectly to everyone’s every whim and desire, but in case that doesn’t happen, having a place to put such thoughts would hopefully prevent threads from turning into gripe threads, and helping them to stay on topic.

Comment

LordofHats, that's what my thinking was, too - the other boards (that didn't make your list) didn't get a lot of traction last time (i.e. the academia and religion/philosophy boards). I had already been thinking of combining them last time, but I wonder if they could just be covered by the non-politics board to avoid too many separations (since we've got limited users)?

Comment

• Lord0fHats
                Lord0fHats commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't get me wrong. I loved the idea of academics anonymous. A place to talk about academic stuff, maybe a chance to start stuff and frame it from a knowledge first (as opposed to politics). But we literally didn't use it much :/ If we'd made more use of it, it's a rock solid idea.

• RiTides
                RiTides commented
                Editing a comment
                Right!? I also think not having a technical forum meant all those questions got mixed into other threads. Speaking of which, looks like someone just maxxed out all our power bars :)

• BaronIveagh
                BaronIveagh commented
                Editing a comment
                Good, you never know when you'll need to do a screen filling 86 hit super move.

I agree with LordofHats, keep it simple. Good discussions will stay at the top as people continue to post in them.

Comment

My inclination is also for limited number.
                Main board
                Off-topic
                Technical and bureaucracy (rules/elections/recalls/site issues)
                Limited access admins

Maybe an announcements one with no ability to comment or reply for posting finalised rules etc That can then be discussed in the pseudo-Nuts and Bolts.

Comment

Where would the new member introductions thread go?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord0fHats View Post
                    Given the small user base, I think we had too many boards to be honest.

I don't think we need more than boards for

1) politics cause that's the point
                    2) non-politics for more low level stuff
                    3) technical support for technical stuff
                    4) a mods board for the mods/admins to use, not for the general user base.

Expand the boards as they become apparently necessary. For example, yeah a philosophy/religion board would be great, but if we only generate 1 or 2 such discussions a week it's not really serving much of a purpose that a general non-politics board couldn't accommodate.
                    This seems about right, more boards just means less traffic on each. I rarely went outside of the general discussion board last time.

I don't think regional boards are particularly useful either given how few of us are in each region. We can probably achieve the same effect by marking a region in a thread title if it's relevant, like something specifically about US politics.

I'd recommend starting with a small number of boards and then creating new ones as needed, rather than creating too many at once.

Comment

Something I forgot to add is the basic structure of the forum, and how we can use this.

As far as I can tell, it is as follows:
                      Forums (home)>forum>subforum>thread>post>comment.

So far, we have been treating a forum as a subforum, but there is actually another layer of organisation that hasn't been used.

I think subforums would be the place to add regional boards within the wider discussion forum, although I agree that is not necessary at present.

It could also be a good way of dividing the technical forum into error reporting vs announcements vs ideas for improvement etc.

Comment

Yeah I don't think regional levels are necessary with the membership numbers. I'd also be disinclined to potentially put off readers from some threads because they're not in a region they're familiar with since so many of the themes will be universal.

You'd also probably have to have a 'rest of world' section dealing with much of the globe and that feels frighteningly dismissive and patronising.

Comment

Originally posted by nfe View Post
                          Yeah I don't think regional levels are necessary with the membership numbers. I'd also be disinclined to potentially put off readers from some threads because they're not in a region they're familiar with since so many of the themes will be universal.

You'd also probably have to have a 'rest of world' section dealing with much of the globe and that feels frighteningly dismissive and patronising.
                          I agree with nfe. We do not really have the numbers to necessitate it and many of the topics we discuss here will have international angles, anyway.

Also because it has to be posted in a thread with that title XD
                          Last edited by Too Hot To Trot; 06-07-2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Added in a technical forum and changed a name to Off topic as they both seemed like obvious steps, can anyone see any issues with that?

Comment

Working...
                            X