Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bride of the Glorious Cornucopia of Heavy Metal Reanimated

IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!

Let's kick things off with something for pretty much everyone: some super excellent crunchy doomy rifftasic tuneage from Brazil. Fans of Alice in Chains and Black Sabbath will enjoy this one. Dumb name, great music. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Sorry, saw the name of the thread and just couldn't resist posting this here. The music starts about half way through.

Comment

• feeder
      feeder commented
      Editing a comment
      Alice Cooper is a goddamn treasure! An important stone in the very foundations of heavy metal.

• BaronIveagh
      BaronIveagh commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, but his sound isn't what a lot of younger listeners think of when they think 'heavy metal'. Early metal owed a lot more to hard rock than modern metal usually does.

This is not metal but they are signed by Napalm Record and they sound very awesome.

Comment

• feeder
      feeder commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE these guys! All their merch on bandcamp has been sold out for over a year, which is a drag. I want that cover art on my shirt. Not metal? Perhaps. Metal casts a wide, wide shadow, and bands like this blur the lines between rock and metal. They are incredible.

feeder I guess that's the result of every new kind of music that derives from any metal sub-genre defining itself as a new sub-genre rather than simply as a new genre of music. "Metal" becomes hazier and hazier a notion.

Comment

"What is metal?" is a question going back to the 80s at least. I'm old enough to remember kids in GnR t-shirts calling Bon Jovi fans 'poser gayslurs' without a trace of self-awareness. The internet and the democratization of music has really helped blur the boundaries between the different genres, requiring subgenres like 'blackened melodic death metal' and 'blackened progressive death metal' to provide meaningful distinction for those that need to categorize their music by genre. Where it gets confusing for some people is 'classic' metal bands. Before the shout-along voices of thrash metal, before Chuck Schuldiner started guttural death metal vocals, heavy metal was just a name for the bands that were taking the blues in a louder and faster direction, like KISS or AC/DC. Now those bands are 'classic rock', and if you grew up with Metallica as your dad's favorite metal band, people still calling KISS heavy metal makes no sense.

I prefer 'metal' to be inclusionary. Gatekeeping has no place in my music, except, of course, the excellent NWOTHM band Gatekeeper.

Comment

It's not gatekeeping if "This isn't metal" is supposed to be a good point, is it ;) ?
        Not going to call anyone a poser though. That makes no sense.

Comment

I've heard these guys referred to as "Putting the Abba in Black Sabbath" and it's not a bad description. My teenager loves them. Here's Ghost's debut from 2010.

Comment

• nfe
            nfe commented
            Editing a comment
            They've never come close to the first album again but they're a ton of fun live. The Six inches of Satanic Panic EP is also a belter.

• feeder
            feeder commented
            Editing a comment
            I really like the Opus/Infestis/Meloria trio of albums, it's all very good 70's heavy metal worship. I don't think success was very good for the band though.

Can you do one of these threads for techno? Honestly, try as I might I just can't get into metal, but am loving some techno for focus music lol. If it's not your thing nevermind ;)

Comment

Originally posted by RiTides View Post
            Can you do one of these threads for techno? Honestly, try as I might I just can't get into metal, but am loving some techno for focus music lol. If it's not your thing nevermind ;)
            I can still recall a party where David Kinkaid of the Brando's was drunkenly trying to teach a bunch of irishmen to say 'German techno-metal sucks' in German.

Comment

• feeder
              feeder commented
              Editing a comment
              Detractors call it "tanz metal". Dance metal. :D

Originally posted by RiTides View Post
            Can I meet ya halfway?

Boy those Germans can dance.
            Last edited by feeder; 06-21-2021, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by feeder View Post
              Can I meet ya halfway?

One of my favorite music quote:
              Laibach does not believe in originality... Therefore, Rammstein could not 'steal' much from us. They simply let themselves get inspired by our work, which is absolutely a legitimate process. We are glad that they made it. In a way, they have proven once again that a good 'copy' can make more money on the market than the 'original'. Anyhow, today we share the territory: Rammstein seem to be a kind of Laibach for adolescents and Laibach are Rammstein for grown-ups
              So, uh, halfway for adults?

To be honest, on the metal to techno spectrum, Laibach is clearly way way less on the metal side than Rammstein, and sometime (but not always, this band has range [1] [2] [3]) more on the techno side.
              Which makes it more halfway, imo, because Rammstein is way too much on the metal side to be halfway through techno and metal.

Comment

I'm not saying I have a favourite Black Sabbath album, that's crazy talk. But if I did, this one might probably be it.

Comment

I know everyone is all about the whales but this album is it's equal IMO. Actually, Gojira has no bad albums. They are all different levels of outstanding

Comment

New Amenra is great. New Darkthrone is Darkthrone.

Comment

• feeder
                      feeder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was surprised with the Darkthrone single. Almost rock n roll in some parts.

Here's the new Amenra. Sounds pretty post-metal.

Comment

Working...
                    X