No announcement yet.

The Bride of the Glorious Cornucopia of Heavy Metal Reanimated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Behemoth. The song's whole lot more of the same old, but there's a nifty creepy video to go with it that's worth a watch

Comment

• Whole album about cancel culture, apparently.

Nergal prepping for his me too moment.

Comment

• feeder
        feeder commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh christ. Honestly Behemoth never really vibed that hard with me so forgetting nergal won't be a difficult task.

• Ukrainian post black metal band White Ward has an album coming out. Sorta soothing, sorta grating. Very nice.

Comment

• One not hard a crack at new White Ward yet, morning work music tomorrow, I think. The new Primitive Man is good. New Misery Index pretty bland. Sounds really flag for a Will Putney mix.

Comment

• Cave In is back! This band kind of lives somewhere between metal and rock. Superb anyway.

Comment

• It's a great EP. Pretty weak Friday, this week. New Blut Aus Nord is fine but Cave In the only stand out.

Comment

• Germany's Lord Vigo is coming back! I was super into their swirling, doomy album Danse de Noir from 2020. This lead single is more, idk, Billy Idol than I'd like, but the drums are super tight and the guitar wails. Here's hoping the album lives up to the expectations.

Comment

• Ok this is fun. The one and only Phil Anselmo heads an all-star cover of the classic Ace of Spades. 10/10

Comment

• Pinkpop baby yeah!

Day 1 plans to see:
                  Floor Janssen solo
                  Danny Vera
                  Nightwish (two shows in one day - is this woman a beast or what?)
                  Metallica

Festival can be followed online as well.
                  Last edited by BranDawri; 06-17-2022, 12:52 PM. Reason: Last sentence

Comment

• feeder
                    feeder commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Metallica live is still a beast. We can debate as to when/if they started sucking, but the classic tunes are still total rippers. There is a reason they are one of the biggest bands on the planet.

• Battery died Friday night. On Friday's acts:
                  Floor solo is different from Nightwish, but I swear this woman can do no wrong. She even makes "Let it go" a good song. Also Henk Poort (the OG Phantom from the musical) was there and they did Phantom. And it was good.
                  Danny Vera was great, too. If you don't know him, look him up. It's not metal, he does American stuff - rockabilly, gospel, soul, a bit of country.
                  Nightwish was polished to perfection as always.
                  I honestly didn't like Metallica that much. The act was technically great, but it just felt - soulless. I honestly think Nightwish could've put up a better closing act had they been put in that spot.

Yesterday I didn't have any must-sees other than the closer. Which was good because it 35 degrees Celsius. I did watch Selah Sue. Not really my genre, but the tiny Belgian chick's definitely got some pipes.
                  Also caught Deftones, Crowded House, Royal Blood, and Maneskin while just chilling in between the two stages. All of them were good, though I wouldn't go out of my way for any of them.
                  Before the closer of the night there was a goodbye ceremony for Jan Smeets, the guy who started the whole thing 53 years and organised Pinkpop for 50(!) years.

Then Pearl Jam. If Metallica was a bit of letdown, Jam more than made up for it. Seriously one of the best live performances I've ever seen. Lost track of my friends somewhere in the crowd. Didn't care. Or even notice until after the show. Highly doubt anyone today can best that - or even come close.

Up today: Volbeat, Imagine Dragons. Bunch of other stuff I don't really know. So far a very good weekend, so I doubt anything will put a damper on it.

Comment

• Sunday's acts: I was getting tired, so arrived late and missed Navarone which my friends tell me was a good show. When I did get there, there was a Dutch singer on the main stage. She's easy on the eye, but not so much on the ears. Not what I'm on a music festival for, so I wandered elsewhere. Randomly wound up at Mother Mother's act on Father's Day. Never heard of them before, but I'm going to check them out. Pretty good live act.
                    Then we did the same thing as Saturday and just chilled on the grass between the two main stages for Ziggy Marley, and a bunch of pretty forgettable acts. Dermot Kennedy stood out here - really good live voice. Then at around 20:30 Volbeat. I thought Pearl Jam would be easily the best act of the weekend, but Volbeat gave them a run for their money. Really good stuff.
                    By contrast, the day's headliner Imagine Dragons were... okay. Not bad, not great.

Weekend overall:
                    1) Pearl Jam. Volbeat were close, but Pearl Jam did Comfortably Numb, and did it well. Plus 70K or so people doing "Alive" is just... chills.
                    2) Volbeat
                    3) Nightwish
                    Honourable mentions:
                    Selah Sue and Mother Mother.
                    Atmosphere: Fantastic. It's as if everyone had been locked in their homes for years and were happy to get out again or something.
                    Organisation: Couple of minor things - water was free, but not enough distribution points for how many people there were. Otherwise pretty good. Food was pretty good, but ridiculously expensive.
                    Last edited by BranDawri; 06-26-2022, 05:57 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• feeder
                      feeder commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That sounds like an awesome weekend! Mother Mother are from a tiny little island (>2500 inhabitants) off the coast near where I live. It's rad they have gotten such international success.

• BranDawri
                      BranDawri commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah it was. Been far too long since I had some time to really enjoy myself and let go, so a weekend with friends and fantastic live acts was exactly what the doctor ordered.

• Devin Townsend live at Graspop . Genius

Comment

• BranDawri did you catch this set? Turnstile are blowing up! and I'm stoked for them. I love the band because they take what I love about hardcore, the urgency and the energy, and discard what I hate, the toxic posturing and the slavish gatekeeping. Super fun band!

Comment

• No, but judging from this, I'm sorry I missed it.

Comment

• I've caught Turnstile a few times and they're solid. The set from Outbreak fest this weekend looked bananas.

I'm at Hellfest currently where highlights have been NIN, Zeal and Ardor, and Martyrdöd. Converge's Blood Moon set was a bit of a disappointment.

Comment

• BranDawri
                            BranDawri commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Is that the one where they've built the giant Lemmy statue with his ashes in it?
                            It's on my shortlist for next year's festivals.

• nfe
                            nfe commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah I think the Lemmy stuff is a bit much but the festival is great. I've been to A LOT but Hellfest is easy the best outdoor one.

• BranDawri
                            BranDawri commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Cool. It's going up the list then.
                        Working...
                        X